Objective of Explosive Power Tools
Objective of Explosive Power Tools Maintenance is important to avoid fire incidents caused by the damaged tools.
- The use of explosive powered tools must be in accordance with Statutory Regulations.
- Only an appointed stores person is responsible for the controlling and issuing of explosive power tools, cartridges and safety signs that is required to accompany such tools. He shall not issue an explosive power tool to an employee who is not certified competent.
- No person is permitted to use an explosive powered toll unless he or she has received training in the operation, maintenance and use of such tools.
- All operators of explosive powered tools are required to wear a badge, issued by a training authority indicating that they have received adequate training in use and maintenance of explosive powered tools.
- All operators of explosive powered tools will be registered with the Project Health and Safety Department if required.
- Only explosive powered tools, tools of types approved may be used.
- All explosive powered tools must be provided with a guard designed to contain any flying fragments or particles.
- All explosive powered tools must be fitted with a firing mechanism so designed that it cannot function unless it is held against the surface with a force twice its weight and the angle of inclination of the barrel to the work surface is not more than 15 degrees from the right angle.
- A notice, warning of the dangers must be conspicuously displayed at all operations of explosive powered tools.
- Only cartridges, studs or nails of the manufacturer of the tool must be used.
- No person shall be allowed unless:
- It is provided with a protective guard around the muzzle end, which effectively confines any flying fragments or particles.
- That the explosive power tool will not function unless:
- It is held against the surface with the force of at least twice its weight
- The angle of inclination of the barrel to the work surface is not more than 15 degrees from right angle.
- Ensure that only cartridges suited to the explosive power tool and work to be performed are used.
- Ensure cartridges are secured against theft.
- The explosive power tool is cleaned, oiled and inspected daily for its safe operation.
- When not in use, the explosive power tools are stored in a safe place, which is inaccessible to unauthorized persons.
- Explosive power tools may not be stored in a loaded condition
- Warning notices posted wherever the explosive power tool is used and must take precautions for safety of persons working in the immediate vicinity.
- No person shall operate an explosive power tool unless:
- He has been fully instructed and certified competent in the operation, maintenance and use of such tool. (e.g. HILTI)
- Provided with all required protective clothing and equipment e.g. eyes and ears.
- The person who draws the explosive power tool from the stores remains responsible for it until it has been returned to the stores.
- All explosive power tools and cartridges used and not used shall be returned to the stores at the end of each shift.