Objective of Hazardous Substances
Objective of Hazardous Substances is to understand their physical & chemical properties and to implement the control measures to ensure the safety of the workplace.
Storage & Use of Hazardous Substances
- Oil Paints
- wood grinder dusts
Hazards / Risks / Consequences
- Inhalation of Dust Fumes Vapors, metals – Lung Cancers & disease leading to death, asthma, sore eyes, vomiting.
- Contact with skin – Dermatitis, sensitization, skin diseases leading to cancer
- Contact with eyes – Visual Impairment acute and chronic, burns. Conjunctivitis
- Falls of materials – Death, or serious injury, fractures, bruises, cuts, and possible all the above, property Damage
- Storage and handling of chemicals throughout the project on soil and near water sources- serious
contamination of water sources and soil
Actions required To reduce or control risks
- MSRA must be in place prior to start the work activity
- Ensure Job safety analysis (JSA) /Prestart briefing/TBT is given.
- All substances must have accompanied Material Safety Data Sheet from Manufacturer.
- Follow MSDS storage requirements.
- COSHH Assessment on substance required suitable to work.
- PPE must be worn as per recommended on label of tin/drum. If no label do not use the substance do not.
- First Aider on site with adequate first aid facilities.
- All workers aware of hazards from COSHH assessment.
- Ensure adequate ventilation to move or extract fumes, and respiratory equipment is worn
- Storage of substances must be secure and of good construction with ventilation, placed in cool and shaded area and out of direct sunlight.
- Make sure chemicals and PPE’s is disposed of in accordance with Material safety data sheet.
- Always clean hands and face thoroughly before eating, drinking or smoking, ensure firefighting equipment is put in place.
- Use Barrier creams and moisturizers.
- Ensure adequate signage is put in place around the area of the task
- Suitable firefighting equipment to be suitably located and marked.
- Ensure Hazard warning signage is displayed